Thursday, March 31, 2011

My "Bon Jovi Backstage Experience"

About a week ago I got to do something pretty cool thanks to one of my professors and the director of the Bradley Agency, our student run PR firm. A recent BYU grad contacted him about an opportunity to send three PR students to do a "mini-internship" with Bon Jovi which was called the "Bon Jovi Backstage Experience".

We spent almost twelve hours watching them turn the pieces of equipment from 19 big rigs into the most amazing high-tech stage I have ever seen [not that i've seen many]. We got to talk to a bunch of the guys who help make the tour happen and it was a lot of fun. There was a guy who was Prince's guitar guy for twenty years, a man who promoted tours for Michael Jackson as well as two other Bon Jovi tours, tons that worked on Britney Spears' last tour and lots of other cool people. It was incredible to see how much time and energy and behind-the-scenes stuff goes into a production like this.

We also got a little PR practice in as we were interviewed for various local newspapers and news stories. Apparently I was on the news but I never got to see it. I was quoted in a few articles but I am pretty sure the quote was altered a little. Oh well. It was still great practice. At the end of the day we enjoyed the show from the pit for a few songs and then back in our seats in the second row for the rest of the night. Not too shabby, right? And in case you were wondering, Bon Jovi was great. It was the most seamless, smooth-running show I have ever been to!

To say it was amazing would be an understatement. I had two friends there with professional cameras who took awesome pictures but I figured if I waited to get them from everyone it would just take too long. So I will share a few of the less amazing but still pretty cool pictures I took.


[we left for lunch and came back to the whole venue set up and ready to go]


[their amazing collection of guitars. can you believe they let us near them?]


[quite possibly my favorite moment]


[on stage with all their equipment]

1 comment: