Wednesday, June 2, 2010

FIELD TRIP

One of the accounts I am on at my internship is a publishing company called Egmont Books. It is one of my very favorites because I get to read the books on their summer and fall lists. For those of you who don't know, I have a serious weakness for pretty much any type of literature that is well below my reading level. Children's books, young adult, you name it and I will probably read it and love it. So naturally, this account and I are a perfect fit. One other thing I love which is silly is that my books all say "uncorrected bound proofs--Not for sale" at the top.

Well last week I was lucky enough to get to go to a luncheon with our client and also a HUGE book convention. I know, it sounds boring but I promise it was anything but. There was a booth for every publishing company you can imagine and free books were being handed out right and left. You should have seen these people there! Total book hogs...hoarding their bags and bags of books. I felt like it was that episode of friends where Monica goes to the sample sale to find a wedding dress and everyone turns into wild animals. Except these people were a little more nerdy.

First of all, the luncheon was so amazing! Amazing food, amazing people, amazing location. It was all...amazing. I felt so legit with my "exhibitor" pass [which is actually kind of funny since it didn't even have my correct name printed on it]. I got to drink lovely lemonade out of a fancy glass and kiss people when I introduced myself. You know, the kind of stuff important people in movies do. We had the most delicious looking and tasting food as well. Some too fancy for my taste buds but I'm sure it was all equally divine. All of the authors of Egmont's summer book list books were there and we spent the afternoon chatting.

A few of my favorites were Anastasia Hopcus whose book "Siren" is coming out in July [she has the brightest red hair you have ever seen. naturally we bonded right away], Tricia Rayburn, who wrote "Siren" [the first book I read from the group which I loved], The Voelkels [a cute couple..and their book was featured on the Today Show last week!], who wrote "Middleworld", which came out in April.

Anyway, we had that whole lunch which was great and then we went to the convention, which I believe was actually called Book Expo America or something like that. As I was leaving the convention you will never guess who I ran into! None other than Tim Gunn! That's right, from Project Runway. Since this post is at least three paragraphs longer than it was meant to be already I will make this short and sweet. He was the nicest man ever! He talked to me for 20 minutes about my internship and his new book and he even gave me directions back to Times Square. He said if we were going the same direction he would have given me a ride. What a gem he was. I didn't think of it until after but I should have taken a picture of him. But for your viewing pleasure, here are some creepy stalker shots I managed to sneak as I left.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Em!! I miss and love you a lot!! I can't believe all of the amazing experiences you are having!! I love reading all about them! Skyping soon?! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete