Tuesday, June 22, 2010

APOLLO THEATER

Let me just start off by saying that I had no idea what the Apollo Theater was when I said I would go. So you can imagine my surprise when we walked straight down our street into the heart of Harlem and were pretty much the only group of white people around. It was then I realized what the surprised looks on my coworkers' faces meant when I told them I was going to Amateur Night at the Apollo.


It was a little overwhelming when we walked in and "Lean Back" was being blasted throughout the theater and EVERYONE was standing up and dancing. As if our group of white BYU students in polo shirts and khaki shorts didn't stand out enough already, dancing to that genre of music was thrown into the mix. I know what you're thinking..sounds like a recipe for disaster. Well, it was more like a recipe for entertainment. One guy thought it was so funny he spent his whole intermission video taping our group dancing. So somewhere out there, I am being played over and over in some family room in Harlem while a whole crowd of people are laughing so hard tears are rolling down their faces.



But...I loved every minute of it! The performers were incredible and I would go again in a second! So, if you are ever in NY on a Wednesday night and feel like braving downtown Harlem, I highly recommend it. You won't be sorry! [well maybe just a little when you get outside after and it's dark and you are in the middle of Harlem]

1 comment:

  1. My little girl that would not brave the horror of driving until she was 20, has suddenly burst out of her shell.I have watched "Live at the Apollo Theater" hundreds of times.....it was always on after SNL. You amaze me little "e". I cannot wait until we do it LIVE @ The Apollo, together!!!!

    ReplyDelete