Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I knew I loved you before I met you

[for those of you who saw the juicy title of this post and are excited, i apologize ahead of time for the disappointment.]

If I had to sum my feelings for New York up in a song (or at least in a line from a song) it would be the 1999 Savage Garden gem, "I Knew I Loved You". And for those of you who were still in diapers at the time, the line is "I knew I loved you before I met you". When I was a little girl my biggest dream in the world was to go to NYC at Christmas, sit on a bench with hot cocoa, and watch people pass by with their shopping bags. I knew I would love it, I just knew it (which i realize now was a risky thing to commit to loving before I ever stepped foot into the city since people tend to either love it or hate it).

The Christmas after my first semester of college I flew from Salt Lake to LAX and met my mom, dad and sister. From there, the four of us headed for a big adventure in the big city (and for those of you worried about my brothers, we made it back before Christmas). It was everything I ever thought it might be, except a little colder. I was in love. New York and I just....fit.

And then I came up with a new dream, which was to work in New York. When that came true last spring, I fell even more in love with the city. I loved walking down the street in my business clothes and being a
real person, not a tourist. When I went back in July I wasn't sure if it was going to be the same. For the first little while it wasn't but then one day after church I wandered over to Central Park and, bam! Just like that, it all came back. Oh New York, how could I have ever doubted our love for each other? Especially when I knew I loved you before I met you.



No comments:

Post a Comment