Wednesday, July 13, 2011

So I'm in New York

Okay so on to July.
July has been an adventure as well.
I decided on a whim [a kind of stupid whim],
that maybe I should pack up and fly to New York.
So since July 3rd, that is where I have been.
I found a cheap place to stay for a month and decided, why not?
So yeah, I'm in New York

Now this is normally where I show you all of my exciting pictures
and talk about the fun adventures I have had so far.
But this is my blog so we are doing things different today.
To be honest, this probably wins the "worst vacation" award [if you can call it a vacation].
And if you can't call it a vacation,
then it wins the "worst idea" award.

My apartment does not have internet or air conditioning at the moment.
So every night I sleep with ice packs at my feet
and a miniature fan that blows what feels like warm wind in my direction.
Until I discovered my roommate's case of DVDs,
my only form of entertainment was a GQ magazine from November 2010
[which I have now read cover-to-cover more than once].
To keep myself sane, I make daily visits to Starbucks
where I can benefit from their free air conditioning and internet.
The downside is that I am pretty sure I permanently smell like coffee.
Life here gets lonely and I miss my family and friends more than I can even say.

Now that I have been such a downer, I've been trying to look for the positive too.
One of the first nights I was here a friend called to check in.
I was in my hot room feeling sorry for myself and recovering from a minor break down
when I decided I needed to think of something positive to say.
I looked around my room in search of some inspiration, and there it was.
All of a sudden I blurted out that at least I had a pretty door knob.
And it's true, I do have a beautiful door knob on my bedroom door.
I am lucky to have a good friend that kind of understood [or at least pretended to]
and congratulated me on my pretty door knob.

As ridiculous as it sounds, that door knob made me happy for a moment.
So since then I have tried to look at silly things like that when I need to forget the negative
and focus on the positive.

So here are a few more:
[1] I have quickly become a sudoku master while I have been here
thanks to long train rides and that being the only game on my phone I will play.

[2] Also, I am very safe.
There is one gate,
two chains,
three doors,
and four locks
just to get into my front door.

[3] The train I take home from the city goes to Flushing/Queens.
If you recall the theme song from The Nanny,
she was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens.
It makes me smile at the thought of it every time I see the 7 train.

[4] The same Beatles cover band still plays every Friday night in the Times Square station,
and just yesterday a man at Columbus Circle played and sang the best version of Stand By Me ever.

[5] The people watching here never gets old. Never.
The other day on the train my phone was about to die so instead of playing sudoku, I watched.
Right next to me there was a group of women reading some writing on an envelope.
At first glance it just looked like something written down in Korean, but then I noticed some English.
They were trying to memorize the following three lines:
"I respect your need for rest and relaxation"
"I thought maybe you were a policeman in disguise"
"In danger, a sea cucumber cuts itself in two"
Ummmm...what?!?
I don't know what these ladies are up to where they would need to know these phrases,
but it sounds a little fishy [and they should probably stop].

[6] On a more serious note, I have some pretty amazing friends that help keep me positive.
Visitors and phone calls have been the highlight of my days here,
and my friend Lauren has gone out of her way to make me feel at home here in NYC.

[7] And church.
How lucky am I that I can go pretty much anywhere in the world and have a place to go that is constant and feels like home?
Pretty lucky I tell you.


Like you thought I would really go a blog post without at least one picture.


The 4th of July was my first full day here and Adi came from New Jersey to visit me because she's great like that.
I couldn't resist taking a picture of the fireworks next to the Harry Potter billboard.
It was a beautiful thing.
The only thing better was the little girl next to us that thanked her dad every two seconds
for taking her to see the beautiful fireworks and how much she loved him for taking her.
It was maybe the cutest thing I have ever seen
and made being squished like sardines with a bunch of sweaty people almost worth it.

That's it for July so far.
Hopefully the change from my usual upbeat blog posts doesn't alarm anyone.
But I realized that part of the reason I have this blog is to document my life
[it makes me feel better for being bad at keeping a journal].
And sometimes life doesn't always go as planned
or as wanted.
Right?
Right.
Glad we agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment